Call To Action, a Catholic organization committed to justice in our Church and world, is appalled by the forced separation of migrant families, as well as the practice of detaining children in Border Patrol facilities, tent camps and other horrific locations.
This new ” zero-tolerance policy,” implemented by the Trump Administration in April, is cruel, inhumane and sinful. It is an offense to all followers of Christ, who was himself a child migrant in Egypt. Call To Action calls on all of our members and chapters to resist this injustice.
On Father’s Day, members of Call To Action’s Rio Grande Valley Chapter participated in a protest at a Border Patrol Immigrant Processing Center in McAllen, Texas. During the protest, Senator Jeff Merkley, Senator Chris Van Holland and Representatives Vicente Gonzalez, Peter Welch, David Cicilline, Mark Pocan and Sheila Jackson toured the facility and held a news conference on their findings.
CTA/Rio Grande Valley Chapter Protests Family Separations
Call To Action’s national office expresses our deep gratitude to the Rio Grande Valley Chapter for their continued work in solidarity with immigrant and refugee families. We look forward to joining them in that work when we gather for our 2018 National Conference,“Santuario – Resistencia – Sacramento (Sanctuary – Resistance – Sacrament)” in San Antonio, Texas.
Take Action Today In Support of Migrant Families
CTA is calling on our members to take the following actions in support of families facing forced separation on the border:
- Ask your priest to speak outon this issue in a homily, and to read this letter by Daniel Cardinal DiNardo (Archbishop of Galveston-Houston and President of the USCCB) from the pulpit.
- See if your bishop has written his own statement condemning the zero-tolerance policy. If not, write a letter asking him to do so.
- Contact your elected representatives and ask them to defend immigrant families.
- Protest at an immigrant detention facility. You can find a map of facilities here.
- Participate in the #FamiliesBelongTogether protests in either Washington, DC or your local area. Their website also has recommendations about ways to donate.
- Divest from banks that profit from immigrant detention.
- Make a donation to support CTA/Rio Grand Valley’s work at the border by making a donation to Call To Action and including a note that you want the money to go to CTA/RGV.
Let us know what actions you are taking in support of migrant families, either individually or as part of your CTA chapter. You can email photos from protests, copies of letters that you wrote in support of migrant families.
Leave a Reply